MATTHEW LEE DOMSCH
- M.S. Computer Science,
Vanderbilt University, May 1999
- B.S. Computer Science and Engineering,
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, May 1994
- Quest Software, Inc.
Austin, TX, November 2016-Present
- Senior Distinguished Engineer, Executive Director
Chief Architect, leading the global team of chief software architects responsible for design,
development, QA, operations, and internal and external customer
support for product families including Toad, Spotlight, and Shareplex, and company-wide services including identity, authentication, authorization, and subscription
billing. Cloud application architect utilizing Amazon Web Services
and Microsoft Azure. Agile and Open source
development process evangelist.
Technical Ladder mentor cultivating top engineering talent.
Quest was relaunched when Francisco Partners and Elliot Management
Corporation acquired the assets of the Dell Software Group on November
Austin, TX, May 1994-October 2016
- Senior Distinguished Engineer, Executive Director, Dell
Software Group Office of the CTO, April 2015 to October 2016
Engineering Director, Software Architect, Product Manager
responsible for stragetic product development, defining the company's
SaaS platform including identity, authentication, authorization and
subscription billing. Cloud application architect utilizing Amazon
Web Services and Microsoft Azure. Agile and Open
Source development process evangelist.
Technical Ladder mentor cultivating top engineering talent.
- Distinguished Engineer, Engineering Director, Dell Software Group & Client Solutions, 2013 to April 2015
Engineering Director, Architect for Enterprise Mobility Management, focusing on integrations with 3rd party business partners for cloud storage and VoIP services. Software Architecture Board core leader.
- Distinguished Engineer, Technology Strategist, Dell Services Office of the CTO, 2011 to 2013
CTO, Dell Cloud Business Unit. M&A technical lead culminating in an acquisition of a cloud systems management
company. Member of the Software Advisory Board Steering
Commitee. Member of the Open Source Council. Technical lead for
the Dell Cloud Partner Program, evaluating and recommending
strategic partner candidates. Performed strategic cloud
transformation consulting in customer engagements.
- Technology Strategist, Enterprise Systems Group Office of the CTO, 2008 to 2011
Responsible for feature definition and strategy for
Dell-developed products and partner products, including VMware,
Microsoft, Red Hat, Novell, Ubuntu, and Citrix. Representative to
the Linux Foundation.
Fedora Project Board member,
2006-2010. Author, Dynamic Kernel
Module Support, Fedora MirrorManager, biosdevname,
- Sr. Software Engineer, Lead Engineer, Architect, Linux Solutions, May 1999 to 2008.
Led the engineering team that made Dell the #1 US Linux
Server provider for 2001-2006, and the #2 Worldwide Linux Server provider (IDC).
Responsible for majority of software engineering work
implementing Dell's Linux strategy. Lead engineer,
instrumental in the release of Red Hat Linux 6.1 through 9,
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 through 5, and Novell/SuSE Linux
Enterprise Server 9 and 10
on all PowerEdge Servers and select Precision Workstations,
directing a global team of engineers and technicians. As Dell's Lead
IA-64 Linux engineer, participated in development and testing
of Red Hat Linux 7.1 and 7.2 for the Itanium processor, and
developed several key open source software pieces, including
GUID Partition Table support in GNU Parted and the Linux
kernel, the EFI Variables facility in the kernel, and the EFI Boot Manager
application. Developed x86 BIOS Enhanced Disk Drive Support
for the kernel. Assisted with the development of many device
drivers, including the Adaptec aacraid and LSI (formerly AMI)
MegaRAID SCSI RAID controllers and IPMI drivers. Assisted high availability and
high performance (Beowulf) cluster teams and server
virtualization teams in product
development. Created and managed lists.us.dell.com, a
public mailing list server to foster a community of Linux users
of Dell servers. Developed all technical content for www.dell.com/linux and
created linux.dell.com to
support server customers running all flavors of Linux.
Numerous customer and internal technical presentations on
Dell's Linux offerings. Received five quarterly Excellence
Awards in 2000, 2001, and 2003 for enhancing the customer
experience. Red Hat Certified Engineer. Authored
white papers for Dell PowerSolutions
- Software Engineer, August 1997 to May 1999.
Various projects while in graduate school.
- Hardware/Systems Designer/Engineer
for the PowerEdge 2200 and
2100 Servers, September 1996 to August 1997.
Principal Engineer for the PowerEdge Web Server, December 1995 to September 1996.
Wrote end-user software for configuration and management of a
SCSI RAID disk controller for Intel x86-based servers.
Designed both text-mode and graphical user interface software.
Systems designer and administrator for Windows NT and Linux
servers used internally for Enterprise Systems Group. Operating
systems beta tester, Microsoft Windows 98 and Windows NT
versions 3.5 through Windows 2000, Sun Solaris, and Linux.
Autonomous Robot Design Competition
Organizer at MIT - January 1992, 1993, 1994
Organizer at 1993 National Conference for Artificial Intelligence
Organizer at Ngee Ann Polytechnic Institute - June 1992
- MIT Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program
Summer 1992, Fall 1992.
Network administrator for the MIT Mechanical
- 10,007,544 Network traffic control by association of network packets and processes
- 9,569,383 Method of handling network traffic through optimization of receive side scaling
- 9,489,212 System and method for an access controller assisted boot
- 9,229,731 System and method for facilitating booting using a plurality of boot methods
- 9,086,919 Fabric independent PCIe cluster manager
- 8,874,786 Network traffic control by association of network packets and processes
- 8,868,877 Creating encrypted storage volumes based on thin-provisioning mode information
- 8,842,562 Method of handling network traffic through optimization of receive side scaling
- 8,719,389 System and method for an access controller assisted boot
- 8,707,297 Apparatus and methods for updating firmware
- 8,495,498 Virtual machine manufacturing methods and media
PUBLICATIONS / PRESENTATIONS (peer review)
- Red Hat Summit, 2009-2010
- Linux Plumbers Conference 2010
- LinuxCon 2009-2010
- Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit, 2008-2010
- Ottawa Linux Symposium, 2003-2006
- LinuxWorld Expo San Francisco, 2003, 2005
- International Conference on Software Maintenance, 1999
- ACM Conference, 1998
- Northwest Austin Youth Basketball Association board member 2009-2018 (President 2015-2017), serving 800+ youth annually.
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America Troop 410 committee member 2013-present, (Committee Chair 2017-present). Cub Scout Pack 2 committee member 2009-present (Cubmaster 2013-2015). District fundraising committee 2015, 2016.
- Team Manager and Treasurer, River City Rangers soccer, 2016-present.
- Administrative Board member, Tarrytown United Methodist Church, 2015-2017.